5.13.2012

Grain Free Almond Flour Waffles with Strawberry Compote

It's been a while since I posted. I've been busy making my engagement party invitations. I will share those once they're complete.

I've been trying out a grain free diet the last week or so because I noticed that I never feel very good after I had pasta. I haven't done much research in regards to the technical terms, so please forgive me. I just know how I feel after I eat, so I based my adjustments on that. It first started out as a no flour (I guess gluten-free?) diet, that was fine enough, I didn't crave pasta even though I used to have it about 4 times a week. Then I went for sushi one night, and I just felt soooo bloated and uncomfortable. I realized that I always felt like that after having sushi, and I had always put it off to me eating waaaay too much. I also looooooove sushi. It was after that dinner that I decided that I should try to go off all grains. It wasn't too difficult as I had done various "low-carb" diets before. However, the hardest meal for me to adjust to was breakfast. I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday for breakfast, so now what can I eat?? I've been sustaining myself in the morning with various fruits and veggies, but it didn't really cut it for me.

So off I went to Google-land. I found great recipes for grain-free breakfasts. I found a lot of egg recipes, but what I was really after was the carby breakfast. I was super excited to see that there were also lots of options for waffles, scones, even PORRIDGE!!! My first recipe was the Almond Flour Waffles. All credit goes to Comfy Belly. I didn't change a thing on this recipe. It took me about 5 minutes to make the batter, and I made my strawberry compote while the waffles were cooking. We were eating within 20 minutes of me breaking the eggs.

Almond Flour Waffles with Strawberry Compote

Inspired by Comfy Belly

Yield: 2

4 eggs
1 cup Almond Flour
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
2 tablespoon honey (I used agave syrup)

Strawberry Compote

1 cup fresh strawberries - quartered
1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon agave syrup

Preheat waffle iron.
Beat the eggs, vanilla, and honey (agave) until smooth.
Mix in dry ingredients.
Cook in waffle iron.

How easy can it get??

The strawberry compote is just as easy.
Put the cut strawberries in a small pot.
Add agave syrup.
Add lemon juice.
Stir continuously, and cook until desired softness is achieved in the strawberries.

Here is the finished product!!


No comments :

Post a Comment