How To Get Married in BC

We are getting married in a church, so luckily, we didn't have to figure out the details of hiring a marriage commissioner. However, if you are not having a religious ceremony, here are some things to consider.

In Canada, you can't get a friend like Joey Tribbiani ordained to marry you.
You will need to hire a Marriage Commissioner to perform your civil ceremony. Marriage Commissioners have replaced Justice of the Peace in conducting ceremonies. You must book a commissioner as soon as you set your date. There are a limited number of Commissioners in Vancouver, and most of them do multiple weddings in a day, especially in the summer time. There are actually only 321 registered Commissioners in B.C. Fees usually start at $75, but it can vary depending on the commissioner you hire. You can search for registered Marriage Commissioners here.

Once you book your date, and a commissioner, don't forget to apply for your marriage license. You can search for businesses that give out licenses here. A few of the London Drugs in Vancouver are issuers. If you think you can get the license done and out of the way, DON'T! The license is $100, and only valid for 90 days, also the cost is non-refundable.

If you are getting married in a religious ceremony, your Priest/Pastor/Rabbi/Reverend etc will have all the information you need. We are getting married in a Catholic church, and there is a whole bunch of paperwork that needs to be done. We have already met with our parish priest, and also the priest of the parish we are getting married in, also the priest that is actually marrying us (yes, there are 3 priests involved). We are also required by the church to complete a marriage preparation course. This is a seven week course that talks about things that could help you in your marriage. Things such as communication, family planning, and finances. Chris and I also need to request a copy of our Baptismal certificates from the church where we were baptised. After we get the course completion form, the Archdiocese of Vancouver will send our paperwork to the Archdiocese of Nelson to get our wedding approved. It's a little more complicated for us since we are not getting married at our "home" Archdiocese, let alone, our "home" parish. It actually not as daunting as it seems. The church takes care of most things for us.

For more information on how to get married in BC, check out the government's website.

No comments :

Post a Comment